About the Organization
More Than Words (MTW) is a social enterprise that empowers youth who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. By working as a team to manage their own retail and online used book business and community space, youth develop the employment skills, leadership, and self-confidence they need to successfully transition to adulthood.
MTW is an exemplary organization that has continually held up a mirror to identify areas for improvement and accountability; that ethic is part of the culture and fabric of MTW, and it extends to our commitment to ensuring our staff and board reflect the racial and ethnic diversity and lived experiences of the young adults we are privileged to serve. People of color are highly encouraged to apply. This position may be eligible for a flexible work schedule with potential for some remote work.
The Associate Director of Finance and Accounting is a new position reporting jointly to the CEO and the Director of Administration. MTW is a unique nonprofit in that it operates social enterprise businesses with over $2M in revenues. This person is responsible for developing and managing traditional nonprofit accounting as well as business accounting systems for all revenue streams totaling over $5M annually and growing. Revenues include traditional fundraising, government contracts and grants, and revenue generated from our social enterprise businesses. Working in close collaboration with an outside financial services firm (eCratchit), the Associate Director will be the thought and analytical leader of all accounting activities, including general ledger preparation, financial reporting, and year-end audit preparation. S/he must exhibit the highest level of discretion and professionalism with enthusiasm for creating usable and actionable reports, improving efficiency and helping our most vulnerable young people grow their businesses.
Financial and Business Operations Support
- Ensure an accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year-end close
- Provide sensible and precise reporting of all financial information to ensure grants, departments, MTW’s board and other stakeholders can be successful in their respective work
- Support eCratchit and executive management team in budgeting and forecasting activities
- Monitor and analyze department workflows to develop efficient procedures and use of resources
- Conform with and abide by all regulatory guidance and internal policies and procedures.
- Provide support for government grant/contract proposals and/or related reporting
- Work with departments to monitor the spending of restricted contributions
- Support annual audit
- Manage the billing & invoice process for the agency’s fee-for-service contracts, online revenue cycle, including entry and reconciliation
- Oversee systems for timely collection of receivables
- Coordinate with Development department to ensure reconciliation of donations between Quickbooks and Salesforce databases.
- Support credit card process, including review of coding and oversight of staff compliance with credit card policies
- Enter all receivables in Quickbooks and apply payments appropriately
- Oversee payroll systems to manage bi-weekly payroll for adult and youth staff including youth employed through MTW’s social enterprises
- Upon receipt, review and provide GL and Class coding for all invoices
- Follow internal process of approval for all payables
- Once weekly, send all payables to eCratchit team via online client portal and coordinate bank account reconciliation process
- When needed, issue paper checks and/or process online payments
- Highly analytical and organized with meticulous attention to detail
- Capacity to set and revise policies and procedures
- Ability to think strategically, proactively, and with the ability to implement projects on a tactical level
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and meet all required deadlines
- Strong oral and written communication skills including the demonstrated ability to research, assimilate and analyze information, compose documents, and present data in a clear and concise manner to appropriate personnel
- Ability to communicate with people with a wide range of cultural backgrounds, training and experience
- Strong cross-functional capacity to both lead and participate in cross-functional teams to define issues and agree on processes, strategies and outcomes. Collaborative work style and the ability to either take direction or work independently as the situation requires.
- Proficient in Quickbooks, Microsoft Office Suite (particularly Excel), and other business software as needed for requirements of position
- Demostrated experience with both nonprofit 501c3 accounting as well as traditional business accounting
- Accounting, Finance, MBA or related degree
- Medical and Dental insurance, 401K
- Paid vacation and sick time
- Significant growth opportunities and professional development
- Employee Discounts
- Salary range between 58K-70K, commensurated with experience.
More Than Words is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, citizenship status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com . Please refer to job WS on the subject line.