ABOUT CRADLES TO CRAYONS:
Cradles to Crayons (C2C) was founded in 2002, with the mission of providing children from birth through age 12, living in homeless or low-income situations, with the essential items they need to thrive - at home, at school and at play. C2C is at the cutting edge of volunteer management, and through its "Giving Factory" provides unique, hands-on opportunities for people to help other people. Headquartered in Boston, MA, C2C opened in Philadelphia in 2007 and in Chicago in 2016.
How Our Model Works: Cradles to Crayons collects new and nearly new children's items through grassroots community drives and corporate donations. Donations are then processed and packaged by volunteers, and are distributed to disadvantaged children through a collaborative network of social service agencies and school partners. C2C supplies these items free of charge by engaging and connecting communities that have with communities that need.
Cradles to Crayons meets a critical need as many children 12 years old and younger live in low-income and/or homeless situations. These living conditions can have negative effects on self-esteem as poverty can lead to increased social and emotional behavioral challenges; it impacts early education since half of children living in poverty start 1st grade up to 2 years developmentally behind their peers; and safety may be compromised as children living in poverty have increased risk of injury.
While meeting the immediate needs of low-income children, Cradles to Crayons also sets a foundation for lasting change by providing meaningful, tangible volunteer opportunities to thousands of individuals and families and hundreds of corporations each year by organizing clothing collections, hosting fundraisers, or working in the "Giving Factory" warehouse.
Cradles to Crayons earned the highest possible rating from Charity Navigator for several consecutive years. Only 2% of charities rated have received this distinction, differentiating C2C from its peers, exemplifying the high standard of service at C2C, and indicating that C2C outperforms most other charities in America.
This position is an expert on motivating and empower community members to take action to directly impact the lives of thousands of children served by Cradles to Crayons each year. The Community Engagement Associate will focus on expanding Cradles to Crayons' support and recognition in areas without an existing network, as well as taking ownership of stewarding established committees and/or champions. He/she will use community donation drop off locations as resources for acquiring recycled product and providing community-based engagement opportunities. The Associate will provide meaning and direction to community networkers, as well as tools to lead efforts in the community (i.e. marketing and communication resources, successful collection models, and ways to build upon strengthens). He/she will be working on multiple projects at the same time, so attention to detail and organizational skills are critical.
The Associate will also have cross-department functions, working closely with the Development team to support product-related grant writing and reporting, as well as working with Marketing to support the Community Engagement teams communication needs.
- Model and lead a positive "One Cradles" culture, underpinned by Cradles' Cultural Values and related behaviors.
Community Organizing and Volunteer Management
- Establish and steward networks of support in targeted communities.
- Work closely with the Development Team to identify donor prospects.
- Organize and unite "community networkers" under a common goal of achieving full Cradles to Crayons engagement across the community.
- Support the maintenance of positive donor relationships through positive interaction, timely follow-up and excellent customer service skills.
- Coordinate and execute community events and meetings including logistics, invitation lists, program planning, site visits, and follow-up. Includes weekend and evening events.
Marketing and Communication
- Create marketing materials to support community engagement initiatives and programs
- Create and manage Community Engagement Team email blasts through Salesfusion.
- Represent Cradles to Crayons in public-facing meetings and presentations.
- Manage and schedule volunteer shifts for groups in target towns.
- Track and coordinate product acquisition and community networking goals. Implement and train a community networking engagement ladder in Salesforce.
Team and Organizational Support
- Serve as a member of the Community Engagement Team and support efforts to reach recycled product acquisition goals.
- Update Manager of Community Engagement on progress of assigned projects. Identify challenges to help redirect strategic approach.
- Assist with general Cradles to Crayons operations and signature events as necessary.
- Maintain engagement opportunity documents so they are current and relevant for team use.
- The highest standards of customer service are expected at all times.
- Established product acquisition and community networking goals are met.
- Effective, regular and responsive communication exists with other staff members, volunteers, in-kind donors and non-profit partners.
- Assistance and support is provided to others as needed.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) in Communications, Business, Organizational Development or any other relevant field.
- 2-3 years professional experience working with non-profit, political campaign, or other grassroots organizing efforts.
- Proven marketing skills and experience.
- Proven networking and relationship-building skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to communicate with external stakeholders in a courteous and professional manner.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills; Self-motivated, resourceful, and the ability to multi-task and be highly attentive to detail.
- Weekend and evening hours required.
- Strong commitment to Cradles to Crayons' mission and a passion for nonprofit work.
- Must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance; and access to a vehicle.
- Experience with InDesign a plus.
DIVERSITY IS OUR STRENGTH:
Diversity and Inclusiveness are core values at Cradles to Crayons, and we continuously strive to be a team where everyone feels welcome and supported. It is the policy of Cradles to Crayons to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information and/or any other protected characteristic under applicable law. Individuals from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
This is a warehouse environment and normal changes in temperature are to be expected while working inside the warehouse or outside, on or around the loading dock. There are no hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made by Cradles to Crayons which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others, or which impose undue hardships on the organization.