POSITION SUMMARY: The Development and Communications Coordinator is responsible for furthering MHSA’s mission to end homelessness in Massachusetts by contributing to the organization’s overall fundraising efforts, development operations, and communications strategy.
Fundraising and Special Events
- Execute gift processing including gift entry, donor acknowledgement, and tracking all online accounts through which MHSA receives donations
- Assist Director of Development in coordination, planning, and execution of fundraising campaigns and special events, including spring gala, annual meeting, and donor events
- Manage MHSA’s Young Professionals Group. Supervise volunteer lead team members and oversee their work to identify and recruit new members and coordinate fundraising events and implement strategic plan to expand group
- Assist Director of Development in management and support of the Board of Directors and Development Committee
- Assist with preliminary research, writing and submission for private foundation grants
Communications and Marketing
- Assist in writing materials for out-going communications such as: appeal letters, annual report, newsletters, e-news, and all other print and electronic communications. This will require spending time “in the field” to interview tenants and organizational partners; cover special events; and collect photo, video and/or written content for MHSA communications channels.
- Manage MHSA’s website and content for all online accounts for the organization, such as maintaining social media handles
- Work with Director of Development and other MHSA staff on programming related to advocacy, education, public relations, and development
- Utilize Adobe software, or liaise with a consulting graphic designer, to create copy and design for MHSA event, marketing, advocacy, and program materials, including but not limited to invitations, program booklets, the Annual Report, appeal letters, brochures, fact sheets, MHSA info packets, newsletters, video content, and other print and electronic publications.
- Support other MHSA staff with proofreading as needed
- Manage Raiser’s Edge database ensuring data integrity and constituent records by entering and tracking constituent data, generating accurate reports for development and fundraising efforts
- Manage accurate contact lists, including but not limited to donors, members, supporters, legislators, press contacts, and other constituencies.
- Maintain foundation, corporate and individual donor files
- Track budgets for related projects and events
- Reconcile development fundraising records with official finance department records
- Must be detail oriented with excellent organizational and project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Ability to be self-motivated and disciplined
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Experience/comfort with photography and video preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to stay on-message when building relationships with external stakeholders
- Ability to take initiative and prioritize tasks appropriately in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in development required
- Proficiency in a fundraising CRM database required; Raiser’s Edge experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred
- Excellent writing and editing skills, with a high level of attention to detail, required
- Extensive experience with software applications including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Drupal (or other online content management system), Constant Contact (or other email marketing program), Raiser’s Edge (or other constituent database), and social media (Facebook, Twitter)
- Knowledge of homelessness, its causes and solutions preferred
- Available for occasional evening, weekend, or early morning meetings and events
- Valid driver’s license
ORGANIZATIONAL RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Director of Development
STATUS: Position is full-time, 40 hours a week, Exempt
HOW TO APPLY
Please reply to Meg Hoffman, Director of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter and resume. Applications must be received no later than March 16, 2018. Be sure to include “Development and Communications Coordinator” in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The Massachusetts Housing & Shelter Alliance is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply.