The Development Assistant will oversee and maintain the Scholars Strategy Network’s donor database and be responsible for tracking the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all gifts. Situated in a swiftly growing national nonprofit organization, the Scholars Strategy Network, the SSN's development department has a team of four, including this position, and is headquartered in Cambridge, MA.
The primary responsibility of the Development Assistant will be to maintain a clean, accurate, up-to-date database of all Scholars Strategy Network donors and prospects, including contribution history, interests, demographic information, birthdays, relationships etc. From this database, the Development Assistant will develop to-do lists of tasks and targeted lists of prospects and donors for other team members. Activities include:
- Identifying new prospects, both individuals and foundations.
- Conducting research.
- Segmenting donor lists to prioritize actions that need to be done (thanking, updating, meeting, etc).
- Tracking relationships with prospects and donors, including initial research, introductory meetings, proposals and responses, gifts, thank yous, and all correspondence.
- Executing grants and contracts.
- Working with the Finance team to ensure that all gifts are entered immediately and that all donations are acknowledged and donors are thanked immediately.
- Work with the Communications team and other members of the Development team to ensure that regular communications with donors happen in a timely manner.
- Tracking and reporting fundraising numbers throughout the organization.
- Creating systems to flag donors for potential upgrade and further research.
- Working closely with the finance department to reconcile gifts.
- Routinely auditing the donor database for duplicates and other data quality metrics.
- Responding in a timely fashion to all donor inquiries.
- Training development staff on Podio and implementing best practices.
- Running periodic reports to track fundraising progress.
- Handling special projects and other responsibilities, as needed.
- Connect the fundraising database to other databases and related services organization-wide, e.g., MailChimp, SSN's website, Paypal, etc.
We are looking for a talented, experienced professional who enjoys maintaining and analyzing data and is a systems-oriented thinker with a background in Podio, Giftworks, Raiser's Edge, or other donor CRM databases. They are able to distill complex ideas to their colleagues and anticipate the operations needs of a growing fundraising department. Our ideal candidate is passionate about using research and evidence to improve public policy and strengthen democracy.
Ideal Skills and Experience
- Minimum three years of relevant experience, including working with databases; Podio administrator experience preferred, but we will help the right candidate attain expertise with Podio, which is easy to learn.
- Extensive experience analyzing and reporting on data in Excel or Google Sheets.
- A desire for efficiency and a strong attention to detail, with a history of organizing data for complex projects.
- Strong communication skills and experience working as part of a team.
- Highly self-motivated and willing to proactively take on leadership roles; confidence and ability to manage up, down, and across teams.
The base compensation for this position is $40,000. Any offer of employment will take into account the particular candidate’s skills and experience. The Scholars Strategy Network offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental, long-term disability, and life insurance; a generous 403(b) plan; and generous paid time off.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter, resume, names and contact info of two references to Adriana Mendoza at email@example.com with subject line “Development Assistant - Your Name.” Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis until positions are filled.