Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Specialist (Chicago, IL) will engage and steward volunteers, alumni, supporter- and mid-level donors through organizing event/meeting logistics and direct-response communications. The Development Specialist (Chicago, IL) will be responsible for tracking and running reports on donors, while also serving as support for communication, volunteer engagement and giving programs, and event planning. S/he will possess a strong attention to detail, an ability to multitask, experience planning and executing events, and a desire to work on a dynamic and fast-paced team.
An ideal candidate will bring a passion for our mission and an interest in gaining experience in the fields of development and fundraising. To be successful in this position, you will have a knack engaging donors of all levels, and will be someone who is highly detail-oriented and understands how to communicate and translate information to a variety of audiences.
The Development Specialist (Chicago, IL) will also interact with students as a mentor, group facilitator, and advocate, participating in building a positive educational environment.
We understand that people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We encourage candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications below. If you believe you have the transferable skills necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of this role, we encourage you to apply.
- Coordinate direct response (email, direct mail) programs and development-related marketing / collateral needs in collaboration with the NTL Annual Fund Manager
- Manage RSVP list, registration, and donations submissions for events
- Data management: Ensure data quality and regency in Salesforce; run reports; update and monitor campaigns; run reports
- Support team of solicitors in soliciting mid-level gifts.
- Organize all fundraising visits to the site
- Manage logistics for all fundraising events, including small events and house-parties
- Other duties as assigned
Manage Volunteer Programs
- Actively and consistently examine pool of volunteers, event attendees, and for giving opportunities
- Coordinate both alumni giving and alumni participation in solicitation efforts
Site Team/Learning Community Member
- Serve as a coach/mentor for a small number of current students
- Join and sometimes facilitate weekly group sessions with students
- Participate in staff meetings and trainings
- 1-2 years of related professional work experience
- Proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint. Experience in Salesforce or donor database preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- An unwavering attention to detail and aptitude for information management required
- Flexibility and willingness to learn and ability to adapt to the fast pace of a high performing team
- Exceptional customer service skills with excellent follow up and follow through
- Excellent time management, project management, attention to detail and organizational skills
- A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
- Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
- Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
- Benefits: Competitive package including 100% healthcare coverage, dental, and 401(k) match
- Vacation: Three weeks paid vacation in first year of employment; four weeks after initial year
- Professional development: Funds available to support staff in achieving career objectives
Year Up is an award-winning national 501(c)3 organization striving to close the Opportunity Divide by providing young adults ages 18-24 with the skills, experience, and support that will empower them to reach their potential through professional careers and higher education. Through a one-year intensive program, Year Up utilizes a high support, high expectations model that combines hands-on technical and professional skills, educational stipends, college-level coursework, and corporate internships at more than 250 top companies.
Year Up currently serves young adults in Arizona, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Jacksonville, Los Angeles, the National Capital Region, New York City, Philadelphia, Providence, Puget Sound, San Francisco Bay Area, South Florida, and Wilmington and will serve more than 3,000 students in 2017 nationwide.
Voted one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For in the country by The Non-Profit Times for six consecutive years, Year Up is a rewarding place to work. Our staff is passionate, supportive, mission-driven, and live by a set of core values that reflect an unshakable belief in the talent and full potential of our young people.
Year Up participates in E-Verify.
Please visit http://www.yearup.org/careers to learn more about working at Year Up, and to see a list of current opportunities.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Year Up actively engages individuals from all backgrounds. We are committed to embracing diversity within our organization because we firmly believe that diverse employee teams help us to achieve our best organizational outcomes and provide the most effective support to our young adults as we work to close the Opportunity Divide. We are deeply dedicated to creating and maintaining an inclusive and supportive work environment. Learn more about our commitment to diversity:http://www.yearup.org/about-us/careers/commitment-to-diversity/
As an equal opportunity employer, Year Up is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume through our website.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We respectfully request no phone calls.