Groundwork USA seeks a Director of Capacity Building to lead its programs to support community-based strategies advancing equity, health and resilience in low-income neighborhoods across the nation.
Groundwork USA is the only network of local organizations devoted to transforming the natural and built environment of marginalized communities -- a national enterprise with local roots, working at the intersection of the environment, equity and civic engagement. Through inclusive, meaningful community engagement and cross-sector collaboration, local Groundwork affiliates, called “Trusts,” transform neglected land and waterways into assets that low-income neighborhoods need to be healthy and resilient while building community capacity. Groundwork USA supports this dynamic network and advances the field of equitable development through national technical assistance and learning network programs for local practitioners. Our work is supported by the US Environmental Protection Agency, the National Park Service and other partners.
Interested candidates should review our website, https://groundworkusa.org.
Groundwork USA seeks a Director of Capacity Building to lead its network capacity building and equitable development technical assistance programs. A member of the management team, the Director of Capacity Building reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for innovation and strategy development as well as leadership of existing program areas. Responsibilities include:
- Leading a team of staff and consultants in providing direct technical assistance, hosting workshops and training programs, presenting webinars, and producing tools and resources for practitioners.
- Developing new programs and projects.
- Representing Groundwork USA in national partnerships and diverse public settings.
- Through blog posts, articles, reports, grant proposals and other communications, advancing the state of practice and building support for Groundwork USA’s work.
- Supervising and mentoring staff and nurturing a collaborative, high-performance culture in a geographically dispersed team.
- Effectively handling budget development, grant administration, project management, contracting and reporting.
- Contributing to Groundwork USA’s continued progress as an inclusive, culturally competent organization.
The preferred location for this position is Boston/Lawrence, Massachusetts, or New York City/Yonkers, New York. Remote work arrangements from other locations will be considered. This is a full-time position, but a less than full-time (such as 0.8 FTE) schedule will be considered on a transitional basis.
The Director of Capacity Building needs to exhibit three key competencies:
- An understanding of challenges, meaningful community engagement practices and ways to effect positive change in marginalized communities, together with an ability to effectively engage individuals working on the ground in distant locations.
- An innovative, strategic orientation that enables Groundwork USA to achieve ever-increasing impact.
- Strong management skills.
The Director of Capacity Building must have excellent oral and written communication skills, a demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds, strong organizational skills and attention to detail, and a sense of humor. At least 6-8 years of relevant professional experience is required and a Master’s degree in a field such as urban/regional planning or environmental policy is preferred.
Competitive salary, commensurate with qualifications; SIMPLE IRA plan with employer match; health insurance through Qualified Small Employer Health Reimbursement Arrangement; generous vacation, sick and holiday leave.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications received by February 28, 2018, will be ensured full consideration. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted – your understanding is appreciated.
Groundwork USA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to maintaining and growing a diverse team, and an anti-racist organization committed to doing business in keeping with core values of relevance, equity, diversity and inclusion.