Founded in 1975, New Brunswick Tomorrow (NBT) is dedicated to enriching the lives of New Brunswick’s people. We do this by fostering public and private networks of institutions and community organizations, working with stakeholders throughout our community to identify critical community needs and respond to those needs. We serve as a catalyst in developing and supporting solutions that improve the quality of life in our community and promote self-sufficiency in our citizens. We work with our partners in the city’s public/private revitalization, assuring that health, human service and social issues are addressed that complement the physical and cultural revival of New Brunswick. Driving impact both through programs that we manage directly and through an array of partnerships, we are currently involved in over 25 initiatives in areas ranging from youth development to health to leadership development.
To learn more and to help us write a new chapter in the continuing growth and history of our city, please visit www.nbtomorrow.org.
New Brunswick Tomorrow encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position, and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law. We celebrate the diversity of our nation and communities, and we seek to build a team that reflects that diversity. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share that same vision, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission.
As we plan to multiply our impact, NBT is seeking a Director of Development (Director) who can build and implement a comprehensive fundraising program in order to grow and diversify our philanthropic funding. The Director will have the chance to work with a strong, existing base of institutional supporters, while also identifying and pursuing new relationships and opportunities to bring in creative fund development strategies. In order to ensure an effective and consistent image for NBT, the Director will also oversee our branding and work in close collaboration with the Communications Manager to produce our collateral and social media.
As a member of our Senior Leadership Team, the Director reports to the President and will staff the Development Committee of the Board. The Director will supervise an administrative assistant and will also receive support from the Communications Manager.
- Lead the development and implementation of NBT’s overall fundraising strategy, identifying appropriate opportunities to build on existing funder relationships and engage new supporters and putting in place the necessary objectives and infrastructure NBT will need to achieve our goals
- Partner with the President to manage existing foundation and corporate relationships, with primary responsibility for ongoing research and reporting related to institutional support
- Grow NBT’s base of individual donors by enhancing or creating opportunities for engagement, including NBT’s annual appeal, fundraising events, and the development of a major gifts program, as well as all necessary collateral
- Plan and manage NBT’s annual events, working in collaboration with the President, Board, and other staff as needed
- Support the Development Committee of the Board, working with members to position them for successful participation in NBT’s fundraising efforts and providing all necessary reporting
- Collaborate with the Communications Manager to ensure consistent branding and develop the materials NBT needs to share its message with various constituencies, including the newsletter, annual report, and social media
- As needed, identify and implement appropriate processes and systems needed to ensure the effective and timely tracking and acknowledgment of all donor relationships
As the incoming Director of Development, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- You have 7+ years of experience in nonprofit fund development, with experience in building relationships across a variety of individual and institutional funders, growing and/or diversifying an organization’s fundraising base, and working directly with Board members.
- You come to this role with prior experience or a demonstrated interest in community development fundraising, and you can articulate a compelling strategies and case statements for a complex, multi-faceted organization.
- You have a successful track record of developing and executing creative fundraising strategies and are energized by entrepreneurial challenges.
- You enjoy working as part of a small, high-energy staff that values teamwork; at the same time, you are comfortable taking the initiative to direct your own work when appropriate. You can shift between strategic thinking and implementation in response to the needs of a specific situation.
- You enjoy serving as an external representative for your organization and can uphold NBT’s positive reputation in all interactions with our community members and stakeholders, drawing on excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills, a high level of cultural competency, and strong written and oral communication skills.
- While past experience in New Brunswick or New Jersey is not required, you demonstrate a passion for our mission of enriching the lives of New Brunswick’s people.
- You possess strong organizational skills, setting up structures that allow you to manage your own work effectively and position volunteers and colleagues up for success.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree.
How to Apply
Please upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, addressed to Jaymie Santiago at http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1L00000otSOF&tSource=. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.