The Gloucester Adventure, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) maritime historic preservation and educational organization. We are the stewards of the 1926 dory-fishing Schooner Adventure. Our mission begins with restoration and preservation in perpetuity of the National Historic Landmark Schooner Adventure. In this small and growing organization, the Director of Development and Communications is responsible for planning and directing all of Schooner Adventure’s fundraising endeavors including the annual fund, membership program, major gifts, special events, planned giving, and implementing the donor management software to support the function. Reporting to and in partnership with the Executive Director, the Director of Development and Communications will spearhead development efforts as Schooner Adventure continues to transition and grow.
- A minimum of 5 years experience in professional fundraising.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience in fundraising techniques, particularly in major gift fundraising.
- Experience in leading and motivating staff, board members and other volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience in donor cultivation and stewardship and in building partnerships.
- Advanced competency required in Microsoft Office applications, especially with Excel; fluency with Donor Perfect (or comparable CRM software); experience with Social Media, Constant Contact, WordPress, Adobe Acrobat, and Dropbox preferred.
- Must embrace the mission of Schooner Adventure.
- Be a self-starter and goal driven to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls.
- Be organized and exhibit follow through on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Work closely with Executive Director and Board of Directors on establishing Development goals and budgets.
- Participate in monthly Board meetings and related Board Committees.
- Provide timely and accurate financial and donor reports.
- Direct the annual fund and membership program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Coordinate fundraising special events, including an annual Gala, donor receptions, and Captain’s Circle Sails.
- Manage fundraising database (Donor Perfect) and tracking systems and oversee data entry and gift processing.
- Maintain gift recognition programs.
- Grow the Captain’s Circle (our major gifts program) including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Meet prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish effective communications with them.
- Oversee prospect research.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Build a corporate giving/sponsorship program.
- Build a planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies.
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
- Work closely with the Bookkeeper to ensure accuracy and collaborate on quarterly reconciliations between Donor Perfect and QuickBooks.
- Manage creation of publications to support fundraising activities; and oversee media and public relations efforts and opportunities to promote the organization’s programs.
- Work closely with the Marketing Committee in the design and production of all major publications, including the monthly e-newsletter, the Annual Report, the website, and brochures to promote program activities.
- Make public appearances to share information about Schooner Adventure with the community.
- Supervise and collaborate with other staff and volunteers.
- Demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
SALARY/BENEFITS: Competitive/commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
APPLICATION: E-mail cover letter, resume and references to Executive Director, Stefan Edick at Sedick@SchoonerAdventure.org by February 11, 2018.