MENTOR: The National Mentoring Partnership is the unifying champion for expanding quality youth mentoring relationships in the United States. For 25 years, MENTOR has served the mentoring field by providing a developing innovative tools and best practices, providing resources to mentoring programs, leading cutting edge research, and providing a united platform for advocacy, influence and public awareness on behalf of the 5,000 mentoring programs we serve and in concert with a national network of affiliate Mentoring Partnerships. When MENTOR was founded there were 300,000 at-risk youth in structured mentoring relationships. Today, research shows that 4.5 million at-risk young people will have a structured mentoring relationship while they are growing up.
For more information, visit our website at www.mentoring.org or better yet, watch the following video to hear our CEO David Shapiro describe our work and our ambitious vision for the future of the organization: http://bcove.me/xt3pswnl.
MENTOR is currently seeking an experienced marketing and communications professional to serve at its Director of Marketing and Communications. Reporting to the Senior Director for External Affairs, the Director of Marketing and Communications will be responsible for creating and implementing a marketing and outreach strategy for the organization that can be leveraged by its national network of affiliate Mentoring Partnerships. This person will also be responsible for overseeing the strategy and implementation of public awareness efforts and resources for the mentoring movement as a whole. He/she will work with the team to ensure that MENTOR’s brand presence and overall messaging is clear, consistent and compelling. This is a dynamic opportunity for a driven and entrepreneurial professional to make a significant impact on a growing national organization and the expansion of quality mentoring opportunities for young people.
- In partnership with the Senior Director of External Affairs, position and promote MENTOR as the nation’s premier expert and resource on quality youth mentoring, and the unifying advocate expanding the mentoring effect.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an annual marketing and communications plan that includes earned media, social media, print and digital content, and email marketing.
- Ensure that brand identity, messaging and marketing and communications strategy are infused in all organizational efforts (programming, development, network support).
- Develop and implement annual marketing strategy for the National Mentoring Summit.
- Support the network of affiliate Mentoring Partnerships in bringing their brands in alignment with the MENTOR/network brand by creating guidelines and tools.
Public Awareness and Advocacy
- In partnership with the Senior Director of External Affairs, seek ways to connect and advance the mentoring field through shared campaigns, messaging and issue elevation opportunities.
- Manage the strategy, implementation and evaluation of existing public awareness efforts, including National Mentoring Month, Coaches’ Mentoring Challenge, Mayors for Mentoring, and others.
- Develop print and digital campaign materials, and related toolkits for use by affiliate Mentoring Partnerships and other mentoring programs to participate in national campaigns.
- Collaborate with the Director of Government Relations to activate grassroots advocates on priority legislation, and to continue to grow the grassroots advocacy list.
Content Strategy and Management
- Manage the development, design, distribution, and maintenance of high-quality print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to annual report, brochures, presentations, newsletters, and reports.
- Lead the strategy and generation of engaging digital content for MENTOR’s website, social media and email channels that leads to measurable action.
- Monitor data and analytics to assess engagement and adjust strategy.
Press and Public Relations
- Identify trends, monitor current events and influencers to anticipate opportunities for MENTOR to engage in and/or lead the national conversation on youth development and mentoring.
- Guide the strategy on press outreach, including messaging in press releases, creation of press kits and materials, interview preparation, and responses to media requests.
- Develop close partnerships with members of the media from major national outlets.
General Management and Team Orientation
- Serve as an active, hands-on and contributing member of the MENTOR staff team.
- Ensure that the appropriate systems, staffing and procedures are in place to properly and reasonably support marketing and communications.
- Manage additional staff members on marketing and communications team.
In addition to the qualifications listed below, the ideal candidate will have will have a sharp ability to translate ideas and information into effective messages that lead to action, and disseminate it to target audiences through the best distribution channels. The ideal candidate has a “roll-up-your-sleeves” attitude toward work and is eager to thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial, environment, and to elevate the mentoring movement as a whole to create more opportunities for effective youth development.
- 5+ years of demonstrated success in marketing and communications.
- Experience developing and implementing strategic marketing and communications plans to increase visibility and opportunity for organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in leveraging technology and digital content for marketing and communications.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- Success in managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Ability to manage communications at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Ability to target a message to a variety of diverse stakeholders.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Passion for supporting disadvantaged youth and youth programming, preferably in the field of mentoring.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
How to Apply
Please upload a resume and cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, both in Word format, to Diane Quest using the link: http://commongoodcareers.force.com/careers/ts2__Register?jobId=a0K1600000ZK6JxEAL&tSource=
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
MENTOR is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Diversity of opinions, experiences, and backgrounds is a key asset.