African People & Wildlife (APW) works to ensure a future where humans and wild animals thrive living side by side. We collaborate with local communities to create effective, sustainable solutions that improve the lives of rural Africans while protecting the natural world.
Our team has developed an extremely ambitious, multi-faceted, and strategic approach to conservation that is widely applicable in landscapes where people and wildlife interact. We recognize that by understanding the needs of both people and wildlife and by listening to and investing in people, we create a powerful and collaborative working environment that emphasizes mutually shared goals and advances the idea of balance. As members of this supportive environment and given access to the unique attributes of our community-driven conservation model, rural Africans can effect real, on-the-ground change for the enhanced management and conservation of their natural resources.
In the coming years, APW seeks to expand its impact and reach with the assistance of a newly established role, the Director of Philanthropy.
The Director of Philanthropy will work to expand upon African People & Wildlife’s current philanthropic efforts, which now operate under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer. The Director of Philanthropy will help develop and sustain a culture of sophisticated mid-level gift philanthropy and build a sustainable development organization needed to meet APW’s short- and long-term strategic goals.
Based in the United States, the Director of Philanthropy will serve as a strategic partner to both the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors and will join an exceptionally committed, passionate group dedicated to APW’s continued and expanded impact and success.
The Director of Philanthropy will serve in a critical leadership role and report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. S/he will have overall responsibility for building on, expanding, and developing new fundraising strategies and providing overall direction for APW’s small development team. S/he will be responsible for advising, coaching, and providing recommendations to advance the cultivation of current and prospective donors. S/he will also contribute to the growth and development of APW’s Board of Directors and advisory councils by finding and pursuing potential candidates in collaboration with the Chief Executive Officer.
The Director of Philanthropy builds and maintains a portfolio of current and prospective donors, board members, and advisory council members; continually prospect and cultivate; develop donor requests for gifts; and directly ask for gifts. S/he will design and implement both short-and long-term engagement strategies to maximize relationships with both existing and new donors with the capacity to make high-level gifts.
Chief Executive Officer
- Collaborate with the development team to identify and drive strategies designed to increase the number of major gift donors and prospects.
- Create a comprehensive development strategy for APW.
- Develop and implement strategies to advance APW's engagement in mid-range gift/grant requests on an accelerated schedule.
- Lead donor source prospecting meetings and events with APW Board Members, staff and others dedicated to identifying potential funding sources and determining viable ways and means of introducing them to APW.
- Lead strategic gift/grant requests of prepared donor sources inviting high dollar gifts/ grants.
- Recommend and implement unique blended gift models, payment strategies, inventories of nontraditional donor benefits, compelling campaign messages, and related materials designed to capture the attention and support of pre-qualified high dollar donor sources.
- Develop and lead team of Board Members and other supporters who support APW’s development efforts in a volunteer capacity.
- Plan and produce, with the support of the development team, special events to introduce the campaign and APW’s mission to new audiences, inspire transformative commitments, celebrate signature commitments, and for related campaign purposes.
- Grow, develop and manage APW’s fundraising operation collaborating with staff to create, implement, manage and evaluate strategies, programs, collaterals, donor research and analytics, communications, reports and all practices, procedures and processes relating to the generation of gift income.
- Oversee and coordinate the process of developing APW’s Board of Directors and other councils including identifying, preparing, inviting and ultimately securing qualified candidates for APW’s Board of Directors and advisory councils.
- Record of accomplishment as a mid-level gift fundraiser with the demonstrated ability to attract, cultivate, solicit and close gifts.
- Experience working with a major philanthropic community/network.
- Comprehensive program management skills and experience, including short and long-term planning and evaluation, philanthropy ethics, cultivation practices, and development and maintenance of systems and processes.
- A minimum of 6+ years directly related professional experience.
- Accustomed to being held accountable for ambitious bottom-line results.
- Strategic relationship management experience.
- Highly engaging, exuberant and approachable with savvy interpersonal skills; polished, diplomatic, and ambassadorial.
- Experience navigating and driving success with a Board of Directors, donors and other volunteer leaders.
- Highly skilled and experienced in written and oral communication.
- Entrepreneurial and creative; driven to innovate and improve; self-motivated and capable of working independently.
- Inspiring leader of people and teams with a track record of successful employee management.
- Committed to working as part of a team with alignment and effective collaboration.
- Frequent travel and ability to attend evening and weekend events on a regular basis.
- Enthusiasm for and positive representation of APW’s mission, values, goals, and culture.
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree is a plus.
- Knowledge, understanding and familiarity with East Africa preferred.
- Conservation experience preferred.
Note that this job description does not cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the employee. All employees are required to be responsible for and assist with additional tasks and responsibilities as needed.
APW reserves the right to verify previous employment and other information provided by a candidate. If a candidate provides false information, an offer for employment may be rescinded.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com. African People & Wildlife is an Equal Opportunity Employer.