More Than Words (MTW) is a social enterprise that empowers youth who are in the foster care system, court involved, homeless, or out of school to take charge of their lives by taking charge of a business. By working as a team to manage their own retail and online used book business and community space, youth develop the employment skills, leadership, and self-confidence they need to successfully transition to adulthood.
The MTW youth team operates our two retail and online used book businesses with donated books, CDs and DVDs. More Than Words is seeking a Donations Manager to handle pick-up and delivery of the book donations from private homes, businesses, libraries and community groups on a weekly basis. The ideal candidate is a flexible, hard-working individual who is comfortable driving the MTW truck and/or MTW van in the Boston Metro area. This is a full time salaried position. MTW strongly encourages applications from individuals with previous truck/moving experience.
MTW is an exemplary organization that has continually held up a mirror to identify areas for improvement and accountability; that ethic is part of the culture and fabric of MTW and it extends to our commitment to ensure our staff and board reflect the racial and ethnic diversity and lived experiences of the young adults we are privileged to serve.
Reporting to the Senior Business Development Manager, and based out of Boston, the Donations Manager will:
Oversee all logistics for ongoing book pickups in the MTW van or truck.
- Safely drive and manage all book pickups in the community with youth.
- Serve as a brand ambassador in the community by educating book donors about the mission of MTW and additional ways to engage in and support our work.
- Coach youth on how to represent MTW in the community and cultivate connections with book donors during pickups.
- Manage our warehouse on a regular basis to ensure that MTW has an efficient system in place for keeping both locations stocked with donations during the winter months. This includes running youth and volunteer shifts on occasion at MTW’s storage facility.
Manage youth-engaged business development shifts to source inventory through outreach and cultivation efforts.
- Supervise and train youth on business development shifts to coordinate book drives, respond to inquiries and strategize marketing efforts to drive inventory donations.
- Manage Salesforce.com database system to track all book donations and schedule pickups in the community.
- Coach youth to effectively follow up with book donors with appreciation efforts including written thank you notes, newsletter articles, invitations for tours and visits, and follow up involvement.
Overall support of training, strategy, and operations.
- Support the adult and youth team with overall operations of the business training programs, including some work at night or during the weekend.
- Contribute as a team member within the Business Development Department to identify ways to strengthen operations, improve training for youth and address challenges as they arise.
- Enforce all policies and expectations with our youth and serve as a “keeper of the model” to support youth to succeed at MTW and achieve outcomes.
The ideal candidate will have at least 3+ years of work experience, preferably with business or sales. Candidate must have or obtain a DOT medical exam and commercial motor vehicle certification and have comfort or experience with driving a van or truck and moving heavy boxes of inventory. The ideal Donations Manager will be high energy, positive, motivating and enjoy teaching, training and supervising new learners. This individual will easily empower others to problem solve, stick with it when things get tough, and ensure the highest levels of customer service and professionalism. The ideal candidate must be willing to engage in a large amount of heavy lifting and labor that comes with sourcing tens of thousands of donations each month. The ability to lift boxes 40+ lbs. on a regular basis is a must. Experience with recruiting in-kind donations, managing relationships, as well as Salesforce.com database software, is preferred.
More Than Words is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, citizenship status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to: email@example.com and reference DM-004 in the subject line.