The Donor Relations Officer is responsible for stewarding a portfolio of donors (including fund advisors and Pledge 1% members) and cultivating new and deepened investments across multiple funding streams (Donor Advised Funds, Permanent Fund for Boston, Civic Leadership Fund, partnership initiatives and The Philanthropic Initiative). S/he will also manage events, donor-initiated special projects, memorial funds and supporting organizations, as assigned.
- Initiate and cultivate relationships with new and existing donors - both fund holders and Pledge 1% members - with the goal of repeat gifts, deeper engagement in the work of the Foundation, and legacy planning through the planned giving program;
- Manage relationships with a portfolio of 100-125 Donor Advised Fund holders and other donors;
- Manage special fund services for supporting organizations and memorial funds, as assigned;
- Manage an integrated stewardship plan for a variety of constituencies including Pledge 1% and Legacy donors;
- Develop and manage donor education and engagement activities and participate in the development and coordination of events;
- Work with the investment, finance and/or fund administration teams to resolve and/or develop creative solutions to fund and grant issues and donor requests;
- Maintain prospect, donor and fund records in Salesforce database; ensure timely entry of activities;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to implement and uphold data integrity protocols to ensure accurate reporting and inform departmental activities;
- Field inquiries via telephone, correspondence and email;
- Support gift acknowledgement processes during peak seasons;
- Support the development and growth of partnership opportunities to deepen engagement and meaningful collaboration between the Boston Foundation and donors; and
- Support business development and cultivate referrals for The Philanthropic Initiative.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individuals assigned to this position may perform other duties as assigned.
Preparation, Knowledge, Previous Experience:
- Bachelor degree or equivalent; and
- At least 5 years of work experience in development and client relations.
Skills, Abilities, Competencies:
- Demonstrated experience working with high net worth donors and familiarity with fundraising and philanthropy;
- Strong collaboration and influencing skills;
- Demonstrated ability to advise and council individuals and families on their philanthropy decision making and planning;
- Ability to understand and communicate finance, accounting and investment strategies to a wide range of audiences, including donors and professional advisors;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong customer service orientation;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office products - especially Word, Excel, Outlook and Power Point; database experience (Salesforce) strongly preferred;
- Excellent data management and reporting skills;
- Solid organization skills and impeccable attention to detail and accuracy;
- Willingness and ability to work outside the regularly scheduled work day as needed;
- Professional and mature interpersonal work style, ability to interact well with a diverse range of people;
- Must be independent, proactive and able to work under the pressure of tight deadlines;
- Participatory work style; team player and sense of humor; ability to give and receive feedback;
- Strong goal orientation with flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and respond to development opportunities as they arise; and
- Willingness and ability to handle confidential information
Working Conditions & Physical Demands:
- Ability to sit for long periods of time;
- Ability to use a computer keyboard for extended periods of time; and
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds occasionally.