The Hill View Montessori Charter Public School, a public charter school in Haverhill, Massachusetts that provides urban students in grades K-8 with a tuition-free, public, Montessori education, is seeking its next Executive Director.
Founded in 2003, HVM embraces the Montessori educational philosophy and aligns with state standards enabling HVM students to attain academic excellence and become intrinsically motivated, independent thinkers who love to learn. HVM is driven by its four core values, which are to:
- Be a Preeminent Public Montessori School
- Support Holistic Student Development
- Foster School-strengthening Collaboration
- Hire, Support and Retain High-Quality Staff
With an enrollment of about 300 students, HVM’s operating budget is approximately $3.5 million, and the school employs about 50 staff members. HVM is overseen by a nine-member board of directors. In addition, the Hill View Montessori Foundation, an affiliated 501c(3) organization which raises funds and holds long-term assets for the school, is overseen by a four-member board of directors.
HVM is at an important juncture as it approaches its third charter renewal in 2018-19. High priorities for the new executive director include:
- managing effectively and efficiently the school’s daily operations;
- strategically balancing the accountability standards required of a public school with the philosophy and curriculum of Montessori education;
- ensuring the entire school community remains informed about and committed to full participation in public, Montessori education;
- developing and implementing a strategy to maximize new and existing human resources;
- strengthening connections and teamwork amongst administrators, teaching staff, with parents and the boards of the school;
- strengthening communication across the entire school community;
- maintaining a strong public presence within the city, state, charter community and with funders.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate is a visionary educator and administrator who will have keen skills in developing internal staff and external networks, managing operations, and serving as the public face of the school.
- A minimum of five years of senior executive leadership, preferably in an education-related organization, nonprofit or school.
- Master’s degree in education or a related field.
- Experience with, training in and/or commitment to Montessori education; prior teaching experience a plus.
The Ideal Candidate will also be a(n):
- visionary educator committed to Montessori philosophy who is able to create a strategic plan, while informing best educational practices;
- effective administrator who can create an optimum organizational structure, manage operations, comply with regulations and leverage the expertise of the broader school community;
- consensus builder of the broader school community and developer of individual and collective staff;
- strong communicator who can effectively share HVM’s vision to diverse audiences as well as develop and execute a school-wide communication plan;
- politically astute public face of the organization who can create a strong external presence through networking as well as mobilize board and stakeholders to advance the organization through marketing and fundraising.
Submission of Candidacy
This search is being conducted by TSNE MissionWorks’ Executive Transitions Program with Transition Consultant John Tarvin. All submissions are confidential. For the complete position profile and submission guidelines, please visit http://www.tsne.org/executive-director-hill-view-montessori-charter-public-school
HVM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively seeks a diverse pool of candidates.