The mission of Roslindale Village Main Street (RVMS) is to promote Roslindale Village as an appealing destination and the dynamic center of our community. As a nonprofit organization, we bring together local volunteers, businesses and public agencies to strengthen the Village's economic vitality, physical appearance and unique local character. RVMS was formed in 1985 and has played an instrumental role in the revitalization of Roslindale Village.
The RVMS Farmers Market
The RVMS Farmers Market is a year-round event, operating every Saturday in the summer and fall from June through November and in the winter from January through March. The RVMS Summer Farmers Market recently entered its 33rd year of operation, and has been voted Best Farmers Market in Boston by Boston A-List three years in a row. The RVMS Summer Farmers Market averages an attendance of 2,000 people a day, and hosts on average 30 vendors selling a range of local produce, farm products, specialty items, prepared foods, and some crafts.
In 2014 the RVMS Winter Farmers Market was launched and experienced a robust season despite record snowfall. The only Winter Market in the Greater Boston area with a full bar, the RVMS Winter Farmers Market hosts on average 15 vendors and welcomes about 500 attendees every Saturday.
The RVMS Summer Farmers Market is heartily programmed with live music, free children’s entertainment and wellness activities every Saturday, making the market not only a place to shop but a true community event where friends, neighbors, and visitors come together. The RVMS Summer and Winter Farmers Markets are important economic development drivers for the wider Roslindale Village business community. In the summer of 2014 a study was conducted by the planning research firm FinePoint Associates. Based on a survey of market attendees over the course of two months, it was discovered that market attendees spend on average more money at area Roslindale Village businesses (approximately $80, 000.) than they do at market vendors (approximately $73,000.) resulting in roughly $2.1 million dollars spent in Roslindale Village businesses every year.
RVMS is seeking a Farmers Market Manager to oversee all market operations as well as lead and oversee all outreach planning and initiatives for the market. The manager is the “go-to” person for vendors, consumers, and entertainers both during market hours and during the week in an administrative capacity. Additionally, the manager is a liaison for RVMS and its many community partners and City of Boston officials who oversee the permitting, licensing, and regulation of Farmers Markets in Boston.
The manager is expected to attend each weekly market on Saturdays, be in regular communication with current and prospective vendors, support efforts to schedule music, wellness and children’s entertainers, maintain accurate records of market activities, refine and build upon existing operational procedures and work methods, recruit and lead community volunteers around specific market-related activities, and represent both RVMS and the market when interacting with City Officials or organizations and entities focused on farmers market activities (e.g. The Federation of Massachusetts Farmers Markets).
The position is a 25 hour/week paid position, starting at $19/hour, and breaks down as:
- 8 hours on market Saturdays (7:00am-3:00pm June to November and 8:00am-3:30pm
(January to March)
- 17 hours of administrative time, with flexibility for in-office hours (Monday through Friday), as long as they are consistent each week.
The Farmers Market Manager reports to the Executive Director and works in consultation with the RVMS Farmers Market Committee (an advisory committee comprised of community leaders, market vendors, and local business interests who collectively shape and maintain the unique spirit of the market).This position is a part-time position (25 hours a week). This position is available starting January 3, 2018, and includes one-on-one training with our current Farmers Market Manager who plans on working a few hours a week to train the new manager and ease the transition of staffing through mid-February.
- Meet with the Farmers Market Committee to review past season, identify priorities, establish committee roles and responsibilities for the season, and identify volunteer opportunities and needs for the season.(i.e. booking music and children’s entertainment).
- Recruit volunteers who will help with one-time or recurring specific market-related activities (e.g. distribute fliers in Roslindale Village, conduct spot checks of market vendors, help surface free or reduced-cost music or children’s entertainers).
- Manage merchandise inventory (current stock includes various apparel, bags, mugs, and posters) and brainstorm new merchandise ideas working in conjunction with the Design Committee and RVMS Staff. The Market Manager can be as involved in brainstorming merchandise ideas as they’d like to -- the FM Manager position is the person on the ground that sells merch more than any other staff position.
- Review and establish policies and procedures to ensure market integrity as well as alignment with overall RVMS mission.
- Establish a plan for and lead various outreach initiatives (general market promotion as well as specific campaigns for such things as EBT/SNAP and HIP or encouraging market diversity and food access).
GENERAL MARKET SUPPORT
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with RVMS staff and volunteers, market farmers and vendors, consumers, and community members.
- Assist vendors, community representatives, and consumers by providing market-related information, conflict resolution, and general aid as appropriate.
- Enforce market rules and policies and share information about rules and policies with market vendors and customers as needed.
- Establish a consistent space to set up and operate the RVMS table and sets up market signs around market area.
ADMINISTRATIVE RESPONSIBILITIES (PRE-SEASON & MARKET SEASON)
- Collect and process payments from accepted vendors, Rozzie bucks, HIP payments, and merchandise sales.
- Keep accurate records of all music and children’s entertainment, including payment and performance schedule.
- Maintain regular and clear communication with current and prospective market vendors, RVMS staff, Farmers Market Committee members, volunteers, members of the business community, and community leaders.
- Draft, and revise as necessary, vendor layout maps and weekly schedule of entertainment or special activities.
- Draft content for the RVMS Program Manager to share across all RVMS media platforms and in any promotional materials.
- Write reports, summaries, and overviews of the market and its operations for any contracts, grants, or as needed.
- Use programs such as DonorSnap, InDesign, and Excel Spreadsheets to effectively manage workload and demonstrate work to colleagues and partners.
- The ability to work every Saturday during market seasons
- Must be willing and able to work outdoors and to safely lift and carry 50 pounds
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and comfortable with Miscrosoft Excel; experience with InDesign a plus
- Familiarity with or exposure to non-profit donor management tools (e.g. DonorSnap)
- 1-2 years’ experience in the non-profit sector or some experience in food systems
- Passion for food justice, economic development, urban planning, and community building
- Strong communication skills, problem solving skills, and organizational skills