Third Sector Capital Partners, Inc (“Third Sector”) is a nonprofit consulting firm that advises governments, community organizations, and funders on how to unlock innovation in the public sector to solve pressing challenges such as economic mobility for all and the well-being of our children. Our proven approach is to collaborate with our clients and stakeholders to define impact, draw actionable insights from data, and drive outcomes-oriented government. Since 2011, we have worked with over 40 communities that embrace the challenge of becoming more effective, efficient, and transparent with taxpayer dollars. Together with our partners, we have transitioned hundreds of millions of dollars in public funding to programs that measurably improve lives. Third Sector has over 40 employees with offices in San Francisco, Boston, and Washington, D.C.
The Finance Coordinator/Bookkeeper is responsible for maintaining accurate and timely financial records in accordance with standard accounting principles and Third Sector’s policies. Working closely with Third Sector’s finance team and other departments, this role will support existing systems and processes while identifying improvements to support the firm’s continued growth. We are looking for a detail oriented and rigorous accounting professional to join our fast-paced, innovative, and growth-oriented firm advancing outcomes-oriented contracting across the United States.
Tom Novak, the Director of Finance and Operations
Specifically, the Finance Coordinator/Bookkeeper will:
- Maintain financial records in QuickBooks for contracts and grants, including federal and foundation grants
- Prepare and process payroll with Finance team
- Allocate monthly payroll and expenses to projects
- Prepare weekly transmittal report of cash receipts, transfers, and cash disbursements
- Post invoices, print checks, and process employee reimbursements
- Run monthly project P&Ls along with budget-to-actual reports
- Maintain charts of classes and accounts in QuickBooks
- Calculate and post indirect costs to grants, reconciling quarterly
- Post retirement plan data bi-monthly
- Perform bank and balance sheet account reconciliations
- Review contract and grant budget proposals for accuracy
- Perform regular and ad-hoc analyses and reconciliations
- Assist with year-end close outs, annual audit and 990s
- Optimize QuickBooks use including integration with other systems
- Perform other duties as assigned
We’re looking for someone who brings:
- Proficiency with QuickBooks (required); minimum 2 years’ bookkeeping experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related professional experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including advanced Excel skills, and ability to learn new technology quickly
- Experience with grants management, including federal compliance requirements
- Nonprofit accounting experience, particularly familiarity with restricted funds as part of revenue recognition
- Strong analytical, interpersonal and organization skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, juggle multiple tasks simultaneously and deal with highly confidential information
- Commitment to strong performance, high standard of accountability and openness to feedback
- A strong commitment to Third Sector’s core values of Respect, Rigor, Resourcefulness, Results and Reflection
More specifically, we think of a successful Finance Coordinator/Bookkeeper as someone who:
- Is proactive in seeking out opportunities for improvement – both as a professional and for the benefit of the company
- Is a collaborative team player with a commitment to having a solution-oriented approach
- And above all, is genuinely passionate about Third Sector’s mission and work to advance America’s transition to a performance driven and more impactful social sector!
This is a permanent position with Third Sector Capital Partners, Inc. and is paid on a full-time, salaried basis.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Finance Coordinator/Bookkeeper” in the subject line.