Grant Writer and Development Specialist
I. Overview: The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Description
Reporting to the Director of Development (DOD), the Grant Writer and Development Specialist will join a growing, collaborative team tasked with scaling up the organization’s Development processes and pipeline to meet an ambitious annual fundraising goal in support of an $8 million annual operating budget. The Grant Writer and Development Specialist will contribute to the organization’s development strategy, and help to build and maintain the operational systems required to manage an efficient development department. This position is an ideal opportunity for an individual who is an exceptional communicator and an innovative thinker who is passionate about empowering teacher leaders to address inequities and improve educational opportunities and outcomes for students. Primary responsibilities include grants writing and administration, funder prospecting and engagement, and support to the DOD in meeting the organization’s fundraising goals.
III. Position Responsibilities
Grant Writing and Administration 60%
- Primary responsibility for writing and submitting new grant proposals and letters of inquiry, independently and in collaboration with the DOD, Executive Directors, and program leads
- Analyze and synthesize data to tell a compelling story to stakeholders and coordinate tailored funding proposals
- Manage the communications and grants-renewal process for existing donors, including timely submission of grant reports to funders
- Organize and track donor commitments and engagements across the organization, including maintaining an accurate development calendar
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date grant information in the organization’s database (Salesforce) on prospective and awarded grants, and track progress to goals
- In collaboration with the DOD, develop the infrastructure and supports necessary to build the capacity of the organization to meet local fundraising obligations
Funder Prospecting and Engagement 30%
- Conduct research and data analysis of top donor prospects in order to diversify Teach Plus’s funding sources
- Proactively develop and foster local, state, and national philanthropic and corporate relationships pursuant to the organization’s development strategy
- Collaborate with staff across the organization to create compelling engagement opportunities to share the organization’s work and impact with new donors and funding prospects, including fundraising events
- Track and ensure information such as briefs, annual reports, etc. get disseminated to the appropriate donor and fundraising audience
- Provide ongoing ad hoc support to the Director of Development, including but not limited to copy editing, data entry, reporting, and the preparation of meeting materials, presentations, and grant acknowledgement letters
IV. Skills and Talents
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum of 2-4 years of development and fundraising experience, including a demonstrated knowledge in grants and proposal development
- Strong persuasive oral and written communication skills, including superior writing, copy editing, and presentation skills
- Innovative approaches to donor engagement strategies, stewardship, and fundraising events
- Keen research and analytical skills, with the ability to quickly gather information and present persuasive arguments to multiple audiences
- Meticulous organizational skills, with a high level of initiative and self-motivation, and the ability to manage multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- A flexible and collaborative work style, with a demonstrated ability to work well within a development team
- A demonstrated commitment to closing achievement and opportunity gaps and ensuring our education system provides equity, access, and excellence for all students
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM platform preferred
V. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
Flexible location, with a preference for Boston, Washington D.C., or Chicago
VII. Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and will be based on prior experience and qualifications. Full benefits package includes medical, dental, retirement, disability, life insurance, and generous paid time off benefits.
VIII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4657092