Cape and Islands United Way seeks expressions of interest and nominations for the position of President and Chief Executive Officer
The President and CEO serves as the chief professional officer appointed and employed by the Board of Directors and is responsible for the overall direction, management, and effectiveness of the organization. He/She will possess a strategic, collaborative, and innovative leadership profile, focusing on maximizing resource development, community impact, and creating and building awareness of CIUW's important role in the community. The President and CEO maintains accountability for the overall success of the fundraising activities and the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization
About the Position
Fundraising and Leadership Giving
- Responsible for developing and implementing a vigorous fundraising program for the CIUW, resulting in increased resources and enhanced relationships with major donors/funders
- Provide the vision for and execute a comprehensive plan for robust and growth-oriented fundraising initiatives
- Actively identify, cultivate, and solicit leadership donors throughout the Cape and Islands community
- Oversee the administration of key fundraising activities, including the annual campaign, events, grant funding, and the leadership giving program
- Collaborate with the Board of Directors to develop the strategic vision for the organization and lead the implementation of the plan while ensuring that budget, resources, and priorities are aligned with CIUW’s core mission
- Effectively partner with corporate and community leaders, volunteers, community organizations, and the national United Way to foster collaborations that maximizes CIUW’s impact in the community
- Supervise and evaluate staff, providing ongoing management, productive teambuilding, and constructive performance feedback
- Enthusiastically represent and advocate for CIUW at community functions and speaking engagements
Marketing and Communications
- Oversee marketing functions, including materials and messaging to ensure that CIUW and its mission, programs, and services are consistently presented with strong, positive branding, accurately reflecting the strategic direction of the organization to relevant constituencies
- Increase awareness of CIUW among business and community members through a variety of outreach activities
- Employ creative strategies and social media to reach a wider audience with particular attention to campaign messaging that is impact oriented to increase donor support
- Serve as CIUW representative and ambassador at community events and forums, including seeking new venues for the message and brand to be shared
Finance and Operations:
- Collaborate with the Finance Committee and the Board of Directors to develop an annual budget and ensure that the organization can be successful within the determined budget guidelines
- Develop and execute sound financial practices that guarantee the organization is compliant with all state, federal, and worldwide United Way regulations
The successful candidate will possess:
- 10+ years of increasing experience in organizational management and overseeing complex budgets
- Demonstrated ability as an empowering visionary leader with the talent to read internal and external pulses and the willingness to take calculated risks in forming innovative, collaborative efforts both within the CIUW and the communities served
- Strong ability to raise significant funding from individuals, foundations, and businesses through strategic relationship development and stewardship
- Proven ability to market and raise the public profile of an organization to increase recognition, utilization of its services, and understanding of its mission and community impact
- Deep understanding of how to educate a broad audience about advocacy and community engagement
- Excellent oral and written communications skills and the ability to relate lo diverse audiences and populations
- Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate staff, create a dynamic work environment. be decisive yet inclusive, and model and teach a philosophy that encourages integrity, growth, creativity, appropriate autonomy, accountability and teamwork
Familiarity with the Cape and Island's unique culture and history is preferred.
About the Cape and Islands United Way
The Cape and Islands United Way (CIUW) is the single largest non-governmental funder of human service programs on Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket. For more than 55 years, CIUW has fostered local communities where children succeed, families are financially stable, residents are healthy, and there is safe and affordable housing for all.
The new President and CEO will lead all fundraising efforts and partner with the Board of Directors on strategic planning and organizational oversight – to ensure that increased resources are available for deeper investment in the health and well-being of the residents of the Cape and Islands.
Operating as a locally chartered, independent organization governed by an all-volunteer board of local leaders, CIUW seeks to be more than financial support to the Cape and Islands community through building partnerships, forging consensus, and leveraging resources to make a measurable difference.
With a staff of three and an extensive volunteer base of committed and concerned local residents and business leaders, CIUW is committed to helping address long- and short-term community needs. Funding decisions are assessed and recommended by CIUW's two standing committees, the Community Needs Committee and the Community Investment Committee, with decisions approved by the Board of Directors.
CIUW is very different from the majority of United Way branches around the country with a long tradition of work place giving and partnerships with local corporations. The Cape and Islands has a seasonal economy and no extensive year-round industry base. Therefore, CIUW has built a solid fundraising program with individual donations from both year-round and seasonal residents.
For more information, visit capeandislandsuw.org
Please send cover letter and resume in confidence to: email@example.com