The Rose Kennedy Greenway Conservancy is seeking a highly motivated and reliable individual for a full-time position as the Programs Coordinator. S/he will assist in soliciting, organizing, permitting and executing the Conservancy’s robust programming calendar. The Greenway is a destination for Conservancy-hosted events and select Conservancy-produced events. Tens of thousands of people visit for great events, interesting markets, food truck meet-ups, and participatory art. In 2017, The Greenway hosted over 450 events and programs, including the Trillium Beer Garden, the Z: Boston Zipline, Chinatown Main Street Festival, Brazil on The Greenway,FIGMENT, the African Festival, August Moon Festival, Boston Local Food Festival, and over 100 free fitness classes. Daily visitors enjoy the Greenway Carousel, distinctive food vendors, and free Wi-Fi. This is an opportunity to join a dynamic, young organization and help to engage the public with a premier public space.
- Lead several ongoing event series, including the Dewey Square Boston Calling Block Parties and The Greenway Open Market. Act as the main point of communication, coordinate staffing, handle day-to-day questions, monitor for compliance, and assist with marketing and calendaring.
- Lead the Greenway fitness program, managing the Request for Proposal process, fitness instructor orientation, and ongoing oversight of the fitness program.
- Take the lead on additional programs, cultural festivals and promotions as assigned. This includes explaining the event planning process to new partners, integrating the event’s goals and mission into park practices, assisting with permitting and fees, marketing and scheduling, ongoing communication, and event staffing.
Program Coordination and Support
- Provide on-site support for Greenway and third party events, including set-up and tear-down on-site. Work outdoors, handle physical tasks, and conduct work with the utmost professionalism and concern for everyone encountered.
- Assist in oversight and organization of incoming event applications, including tracking responses and attendance numbers, invoicing and fees, and initial conversations with interested event organizers.
- Keep internal calendars up-to-date and run internal operations meetings to review needs and details.
- Support Earned Income Manager with revenue-generating events, including the Mobile Eats program, promotions and samplings.
- Provide assistance to a range of events on permitting, layouts, compliance, scheduling and walkthroughs. Assist with signage, reporting, and marketing efforts related to programs.
- Research and reach out to new and potential event partners as needed.
- Learn and enforce the Park Use Guidelines and Park Rules, both in event planning processes and in the park, balancing park needs with event needs.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Experience working at a non-profit and coordinating programming preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in:
- Building and maintaining successful collaborations and partnerships;
- Multi-tasking and attention to detail;
- Creative problem-solving and staying calm under pressure..
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including experience or interest in tracking, analyzing and presenting data.
- Bilingual skills preferred, particularly Chinese language/s.
- Computer proficiency, especially in Microsoft Office, Gmail, and Google Calendar. Graphic design skills not required but a plus.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather, to kneel or stand for periods of time, and to lift 50 pounds.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and ability to drive Conservancy vehicles in downtown Boston.
- Work hours are generally Monday through Friday, but flexibility is required to accommodate evening, Saturday, and Sunday shifts, especially between April and October.
- Work will generally take place indoors, but the position will require a significant amount of time in the parks, especially between April and October, in all weather conditions.
- Please email the following to jobs@RoseKennedyGreenway.org with “Programs Coordinator” in the subject line. Each file name should begin with applicant’s last name.
- one-page cover letter
- 3 references
- No phone calls, please
About The Greenway and the Conservancy
The Rose Kennedy Greenway, a roof garden atop a highway tunnel, is a contemporary public park in the heart of Boston. The non-profit Greenway Conservancy maintains, programs, finances, and improves the 1.5-mile Greenway on behalf of the public.
In 2016, The Greenway welcomed 1.38 million visitors for its events, Carousel, food trucks, and Wi-Fi, and millions more casually enjoyed the park. The Conservancy has won numerous awards, including for our organic landscape care and park programming.
RFKGC is an equal opportunity employer, and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression (including transgender) or any other characteristic protected by law