Grassroots International seeks an experienced individual to work as an active member of its Program Team. The Solidarity Program Officer – BEAI Fund develops and manages a grantmaking program consistent with Grassroots’ mission, through resources raised through the Building Equity and Alignment for Impact (BEAI) Fund. The position will be based at our Boston office.
Grassroots International works in partnership with social movements to create a just and sustainable world by advancing the human rights to land, water, and food through global grantmaking, building solidarity across organizations and movements, and advocacy in the US. Grassroots International envisions a world in which a universal commitment to the health and well-being of the earth and all its peoples, fueled by successful global movements for economic and climate justice, has transformed production practices, consumption patterns, and economic and social relations to ones based on sustainability, equity, and the rights to land, food, and water. Our partnerships recognize that change is successful only when people in their own communities organize to confront the root causes of their problems.
The BEAI Fund was created by the Building Equity and Alignment for Impact Initiative, a network made of up grassroots organizing groups, national environmental organizations, and funders, founded in 2013 to build a more powerful, diverse, and inclusive climate justice and environmental movement. The BEAI Fund aims to contribute towards addressing the historical disparity that has kept the grassroots organizing sector underfunded, to ensure that this sector has the resources needed to increase its capacity, replicate, expand and scale its impact to ensure that lasting solutions and tangible emissions reduction targets are met on the ground. Grassroots International is the Fund Manager of the BEAI Fund.
- Providing leadership on issues vital to this program work, including grassroots organizing for environmental justice and climate justice in the US;
- Staffing an Advisory Board made up of representatives from the grassroots organizing sector, national environmental organizations, and funders, which will make recommendations around grantmaking;
- Supporting applicants in the grantwriting process, reviewing application materials and providing background to other staff, Advisory Board, and Board members on applicants;
- Creating strong relations with grantees and managing all stages of the grantmaking process;
- Gathering information necessary to monitor projects and promote them, including collaboration with an external evaluator;
- Sharing information with the BEA Initiative and with funders as needed; and
- Representing Grassroots International in organizing and funder spaces.
- This position reports to the Director of Grantmaking and Advocacy
- Commitment to the mission of Grassroots International, to the purpose of the BEAI Fund, and to the Jemez Principles for Democratic Organizing. Demonstrated understanding and expertise on program matters central to Grassroots’ mission, particularly to environmental and climate justice struggles in the US and to global social movements.
- Experience in grassroots social justice organizing in domestic and/or international settings strongly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work flexibly as part of a team in a mission-driven organization;
- High level of self-organization with close attention to detail, administrative skills, and computer skills;
- Experience in grantmaking process (either as a funder or applicant), program development, and fundraising;
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the capacity to write clear and compelling program-related material and speak publicly on program themes.
- Foreign language fluency in Spanish highly desirable, other language proficiency a plus;
- Must be open to occasional national, regional, and local travel, as well as some evening and weekend hours.
Compensation: Salary commensurate with experience. Benefits prorated for ⅘ time.
To Apply: Email resume and a cover letter detailing interest and relevant experience to: email@example.com with SPO – BEAI FUND and YOUR NAME in the subject line or mail to: Grassroots International, attn: SPO-BEAI Fund Search Committee, 179 Boylston St, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130.