The Support Services Advisor (SSA) will have the primary responsibility of supporting and advising a cohort of Steppingstone Scholars (advisees) who are in middle and high school. This unique opportunity within the department will allow the SSA to work with a greater number of high school seniors, most attending partner schools, to ensure their preparation for, admission into, and success at four-year colleges. The SSA will serve as a liaison between the Support Services and College Services departments, working closely with both teams to ensure high school seniors are participating in activities that will lead to college access and success. In addition, the SSA will participate fully in the execution of the organization’s summer and year-round programs. The SSA will work a Tuesday – Saturday schedule during the academic year and a Monday – Friday schedule during the summer.
• Develop one-on-one relationships with advisees and their families in order to support each advisee’s individual needs
• Maintain knowledge of resources and opportunities relevant to Scholars in order to ensure their success in school and in the college admission process
• Implement and contribute to the departmental college readiness plan through small group facilitation, workshop development, and the management of other projects
• Serve as liaison to a group of schools and develop and foster strong relationships with those schools
• Track and utilize data in a concise and consistent way in order to inform analysis of high impact activities
• Assist with program-wide responsibilities, including the admissions process for incoming applicants, financial aid applications to independent schools, and teaching during the summer
All candidates will embrace and demonstrate our core values: Mission-connect, Impact driven, Respect, Initiative and Collaboration.
Strong candidates for this position will demonstrate the following:
• Cross-cultural sensitivity and experience working with diverse populations
• A commitment to educational equity and college access
• Experience working with a diverse group of middle and/or high school students and families
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong relationship-building and group facilitation capabilities, incorporating crosscultural sensitivity
• Effective project management skills combined with initiative, flexibility, and problemsolving
• Experience as an effective team member
• Knowledge of Boston Public or independent schools is desirable
• Preference given to candidates who are bilingual in Spanish, Vietnamese, Arabic, or Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese)
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
• Lifting up to 20 pounds, standing, walking, sitting, reaching, operating computer and office equipment
To Apply: Please email your resume and a thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and how you learned about this position, to Human Resources at email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please include “Support Services Advisor” in the subject line of your email.
The Steppingstone Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any individual, employee, or application for employment on the basis of race, color, marital status, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, or handicap, as defined by law.