UTEC is a dynamic youth-serving organization located in the heart of Lowell, Ma. We work with the most disconnected youth in our community (those with a history of gang or criminal involvement ages 16-24), offering a number of services and opportunities for individuals to gain permanent meaningful employment and contribute to their communities.
Teens Leading The Way Program Manager (full-time) will be responsible for the overall development and coordination of all policy-making and organizing work with the designated young adult (17-25) leaders and their represented youth organizations focused in the Boston area. The Program Manager will ensure that all young adult leaders engaged in this work receive intensive support and case management to foster their personal development goals and the policy campaign.
The Program Manager will also be focused on expanding our work and partnerships in the Boston area. TLTW’s work in this area focuses on creating youth-led systemic change (through organizing, civic engagement, and policymaking) that addresses the root causes of social injustice, while at the same time increasing young people’s belief that they can be effective agents of social change.
The Program Manager will ensure adherence to timelines and communication between all partners of the statewide coalition, Teens Leading the Way, comprised of over 7 different communities throughout the state and central staff in Lowell at UTEC.
The Program Manager will offer direct support to all young adults in their region by providing transportation to regional meetings and quarterly retreats. The Program Manager will also work with young adults to facilitate all monthly meetings and quarterly retreats, as well as all training and case management for the program.
In their region, the Program Manager will work with young adults, ages 17-25 on a weekly basis to make sure the young adults are getting campaign work accomplished as the campaign progresses while working with young adults to develop strategies to best target other young people who may not be initially engaged in this work as potential organizers for their community. The program manager will also be helping to lead a re-launch of our statewide coalition’s work to empower young adults to make lasting changes through policymaking in Massachusetts in 2018.
On average, the Program Manager will be based at a Boston office for 3-4 days a week, and spend 1-2 days a week in Lowell to take part in team meetings and occasional trainings. The TLTW Program Manager will be an employee of UTEC with overall management, training and supervision provided by UTEC’s Director of Organizing and Policymaking.
- Provide program development support to Boston organizational partners (Currently College Bound Dorchester and More Than Words).
- Provide direct staff support to active TLTW youth in Boston and the region.
- Expand TLTW Coalition in Boston
- Help coordinate weekly TLTW meetings in their designated region and regular communication with partner agencies throughout the state.
- Support young adult leaders to develop their own action plans to carry out their regional responsibilities in the statewide campaign for TLTW
- Help other TLTW staff to facilitate youth organizing trainings and workshops for young adults throughout the agency.
- Coordinate & facilitate monthly conference calls with lead young adult facilitators across the state.
- Track, evaluate and report on the program’s developmental outcomes.
- Mentor young adult members and follow-up on their personal development plans.
- Seek partnerships with and build relationships and exchanges with other established youth organizing programs focusing on education.
- Expand the young-adult base locally to turn out large numbers of youth supporters for various actions and rallies.
- Work closely with other TLTW staff, UTEC Organizing and Policymaking Director, and Boston partners to make sure weekly goals are accomplished statewide
- Compile all necessary reports.
- Plan Retreats and Regional Meetings
- Provide reliable transportation for young adults from their region to TLTW monthly meetings (usually in Boston, Lowell, or Worcester) and quarterly retreats (usually 1.5 – 2.5 hours away) – a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation is required for this position.
- Serve as primary liaison between the TLTW coalition, UTEC and other organizational partners related to TLTW’s goals.
- Youth Program Development Experience
- Massachusetts State Legislative Campaign Management Experience
- Coalition Management
- Public Relations Experience
- Capacity to work independently and productively
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing environment
- Flexibility to work hours as program needs change
- BA preferred/equivalent community experience accepted
- Bi-lingual preferred
- Previous experience working with young people
- Strong leadership & facilitation skills
- Strong comfort level in approaching and engaging youth in various situations
- Strong relationship building skills
- Ability to laugh at oneself a must
Compensation Salary commensurate with experience, 3 weeks paid vacation, paid holidays and sick/personal time, health and dental benefits.
How to Apply Please email your thoughtful cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Teens Leading The Way" in the subject line. No calls, please. Not all applicants will receive a response.
For more info on TLTW, visit www.teensleadingtheway.org