October 2016 - Meet-the-Donors: Donor Advised Funds
Our seasoned team of panelists joined over 100 attendees at the Charles Mosesian Theater in Watertown where they helped to demystify the topic of Donor-Advised-Funds. The session was information packed and offered many helpful tips and reminders about best practices in grantseeking and attracting donors. Two tips of the day: make sure your contact info is easy to find on your website and that your Guidestar profile is up-to-date.
- Gioia C. Perugini, Associate Director, Family Office and Philanthropy Services Hemenway & Barnes
- Charlie Glassenberg, Vice President, Gift Planning & Investment Partnerships Combined Jewish Philanthropies
- Karen Heald, Director, Relationship Management, Private Donor Group Fidelity Charitable
- John Przybylski, JD, LLM, CFP®, AEP®, CIMA®, Director of Financial Planning Pathstone Federal Street
- Julie Smith-Bartoloni, Senior Director of Donor Relations The Boston Foundation
December 2015 - Meet-the-Donors: General Operating Support
Moderator: Jennifer Aronson, Interim Vice President for Program, The Boston Foundation
• Miki C. Akimoto, Senior Vice President, Grantmaking Practice Director, U.S. Trust, Bank of America, Private Wealth Management
• Laura Kurzrok, Executive Director, Eastern Bank Charitable Foundation
• Prentice Zinn, Director, GMA Foundations
How to make a compelling case for operating support, when does a request for operating support make sense, and trends in donors giving general op were some of the topics covered.
October 2015 - Meet-the Donors: Corporate Giving
On Friday, October 30th, the Lyric Stage kindly sponsored our Meet-the-Donors: Corporate Giving program. A sold out crowd of 240 attendees listened in and asked questions to an all-star team of grantmakers as they unpacked the world of corporate giving.
Moderator: Jennifer Veilleux, Senior Manager, Boston Scientific
• Jessica Anderson, Sr. Director, Community Involvement, EMC Corporation
• Briana Curran, Charitable Giving Manager, BNY Mellon
• Emily McCann, Manager, Community & Giving, Staples, Inc.
• Klare Shaw, Program Manager, The Liberty Mutual Foundation, Inc.
• Krista Van Tassel, Community Relations, New England, Wells Fargo
One of the many takeaways: Offering volunteer opportunities for corporate employees can be a big plus and give you a leg up!
May 2015 - Meet-the-Donors: Western MA
On Friday May 29th, AGM took the Meet-the-Donors series on the road to Springfield to a packed house of 80 reps from the nonprofit community. The UMass Center at Springfield kindly sponsored the event with their wonderful donated space.
Moderator: Lorelei Gazzillo, Vice President and Director, Berkshire Bank Foundation
- Elizabeth Barajas-Román, CEO, Women’s Fund of Western Massachusetts
- Ward S. Caswell, President, Beveridge Family Foundation
- Thea E. Katsounakis, Vice President, US Trust, Philanthropic Solutions/Bank of America
- Nancy Reiche, Vice President, Community Foundation of Western Massachusetts
- Dora Robinson, President & CEO, United Way of Pioneer Valley
The specifics of each funder were covered as well as some helpful reminders and takeaways. The importance of completing interim/final reports – when requested, how to effectively have a collaborative project and work in tandem with various foundations, and the importance of proper grammar when writing proposals, were touched upon. Key tip: if you don’t already have a copy of the old classic “Elements of Style” by Strunk and White, you may want to invest in one!
Our tremendous lineup included:
John Przybylski, JD, LLM, CFP, Director of Financial Planning, Federal Street Advisors, Inc.
• Craig Dutra, President, Community Foundation of Southeastern Massachusetts
• Charles S. Glassenberg, Vice President, Gift Planning and Investment Partnerships, Combined Jewish Philanthropies
• Karen Heald, Sr. Relationship Manager, Private Donor Group, Fidelity Charitable
• Cuong P. Hoang, Director of Programs, Mott Philanthropic
• Gioia Perugini, Associate Director, Philanthropic Advisory and Family Office Services, Hemenway & Barnes LLP
Just to give a sampling of some key takeaways:
• DAFs are NOT the same as foundations.
• DAFs are connected to individual donors working through an intermediary organization to make their donation selections. There is no way to apply to them.
• A nonprofit’s website and Guidestar page are key indicators of the health of a nonprofit, that Philanthropic Advisors use for their due diligence process. So keep your website “fresh” and make sure the Guidestar listing is up-to-date!