Samaritans, Inc. is the premier suicide prevention organization in the communities of Suffolk, Norfolk, Middlesex and Worcester counties, providing lifesaving services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Samaritans’ purpose is to alleviate despair, isolation, distress and suicidal feelings among individuals in our community; to educate the public about suicide prevention; and to reduce the stigma associated with suicide. For over 40 years, Samaritans volunteers – selected, trained and supported by a dedicated professional staff – have provided compassionate and non-judgmental support free of charge for callers to its Helplines.
Samaritans’ volunteers and staff now provide a full range of suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention services through community education and outreach; phone and text based crisis service Helplines for those in distress; and grief support groups and personal visits which assist families impacted by a suicide loss in their grieving and healing process. This growing organization provides services that make our communities healthier and happier and provides a working environment that celebrates the positive and lifesaving work that occurs here each and every day.
Samaritans’ has an outstanding opportunity for an individual committed to mental health and interested in a career in the marketing profession. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position is responsible for the organization’s image through the areas of marketing, public relations and communications. This role requires a highly organized, detail-oriented and motivated individual with excellent skills managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment. Samaritans suicide prevention work saves lives with a 24/7 helpline, grief support services and extensive community education and outreach. The ability to connect with the mission, vision and values of Samaritans is vital; familiarity with the issue of suicide prevention is a plus.
- Develop and execute Samaritans marketing strategy.
- Develop and implement the organization’s communications material including annual reports, brochures, press releases and program flyers by utilizing graphic design.
- Responsible for maintaining adequate supply of brochures, flyers and other hard copy marketing materials.
- Develop ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other public relations activities that promote awareness of the organization and its services.
- Manage Samaritans’ social media communications via monthly Snapshot newsletter, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other strategies with Samaritans’ priorities and key messages.
- Responsible for enhancing, building, and maintaining website content and graphics (regularly and without supervision) to serve needs of multiple constituencies, including donors, program participants, community partners and grantors.
- Work with all departments to market organization's programs and events to potential clients, and track success of marketing efforts.
- Promote and manage Samaritans’ brand portfolio and ensure consistency throughout the organization.
- Support other activities as requested by Executive Director.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Must be detailed oriented and accomplish tasks within given time frames
- Flexibility in working hours for occasional events in the evening or week-end
- Ability to work in a fast-paced atmosphere, with little supervision
- Successfully completes the volunteer befriending training
- Must possess strong communication skills, including communicating with others, listening effectively and gathering information from sources at all levels in an organization and working with varying levels of staff
- Functions well as a member of a team.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism, marketing or a related field
- Minimum of 2 – 4 years of experience with hands-on experience in public relations, communication strategy, marketing and/or nonprofit management.
- Computer (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) and social media skills (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) required.
- Experience with WordPress, Online Express, Hootsuite and Constant Contact strongly desired.
- Strong writing, proofreading, and copy-editing skills.
- Ability to be focused and detailed, meets deadlines, and juggles multiple tasks, and work as a part of a team.
- Graphic design and/or web editing and posting skills required.
- Working knowledge of several writing style guides (AP), a plus
How to Apply
Please send your resume (saved as Lastname_resume) and brief cover letter (saved as Lastname_coverletter) explaining your interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Marketing and Communications Manager” in the subject line.