Outreach & Organizing Manager
February 6, 2018
Who We Are
Breast Cancer Prevention Partners (BCPP) works to prevent breast cancer by eliminating our exposure to toxic chemicals and radiation linked to the disease. We translate science into practical actions people, policy makers and companies can take to protect us from toxic exposures. The people who work at BCPP are passionate about what we do and committed to excellent work done in a collaborative environment. BCPP’s work is multi-faceted and innovative, effectively weaving together public education, corporate accountability, corporate sustainability and legislative advocacy strategies to engage the public; move cosmetics, food manufacturers and cleaning product companies toward safer products; and secure stricter state and federal regulation of the consumer product industries.
Who We Are Looking For
We are looking for an experienced organizer to assume a senior leadership role within our fast-paced, innovative and dynamic Program Department to manage the organization’s community organizing and engagement and public education efforts. The best candidate will bring vision and exciting new outreach and movement-building strategies to our market-based campaigning, state and federal legislative advocacy and efforts to create and implement a California breast cancer primary prevention plan. We are especially interested in candidates with experience working in racially, culturally and economically diverse communities who understand different models of engagment and organizing and have vision to guide our organization in building our internal capacity to partner with a wide range of community groups and organizations. BCPP has a long history of working in informal partnership and with state and national coalitions in our work. In 2017 we changed our name from Breast Cancer Fund to BCPP to reflect our growing organizational commitment to working in partnership with a wider range of allies. This position is designed to help us expand our vision of the communities with whom we partner and the ways in which we can partner more effectively.
- In collaboration with other BCPP team members, cultivate and manage the organization’s relationships with community-based organizations, environmental health & justice organizations, businesses and other key advocacy partners;
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for BCPP to grow its ability to effectively partner with a wide range of people and organizations;
- Create and drive the overall organizing and engagement strategy for BCPP, our state and federal legislative advocacy efforts and our Campaign for Safe Cosmetics and Cans Not Cancer campaigns by:
- Developing and implementing movement building strategies;
- Strengthening and expanding coalition support;
- Seeking opportunities for BCPP to support efforts to combat place-based toxic exposures;
- Recruiting and stewarding volunteer leaders; and
- Organizing on-the-ground advocacy efforts and community engagement strategies
- Develop and implement broad-based public education strategies through webinars, community forums, the development and dissemination of public education materials,
- Create connective tissue between online and on-the-ground engagement strategies.
- Oversee implementation of our California Breast Cancer Prevention Plan by identifying and engaging California-based NGO and community partners
- Organize, coordinate and represent BCPP at public events
- Other duties as assigned
Required qualifications and skills
- Minimum five years of experience conducting organizing and outreach with deep roots in and/or experience working with communities impacted by toxic exposures
- Experienced relationship and coalition-builder
- Experience with market-based strategies and/or other advocacy efforts aimed at creating safer communities, consumer products, workplaces and homes
- Experience working with California community-based, environmental health and justice advocacy communities
- Enthusiastic about and experienced in volunteer and intern recruitment, engagement and leadership development.
- Experience working with and/or an understanding of environmental health, women’s health and/or toxics reduction issues.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks at once, work as part of a team, and work effectively in a self-directed manner in a face-paced and changing environment.
- Superior skills in written and verbal communication, and networking.
- Experience with event planning or organizing community forums.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to inspire trust and respect among colleagues and external partners.
- Excellent decision-making skills, strategic insight, professional initiative, and time management and prioritization skills.
- Good organizational skills reand demonstrated initiative, flexibility and creativity.
- Willing and able to travel, primarily throughout California
- Sense of humor a must!
Location: San Francisco
Hours: Full time
Excellent Benefits: Medical, dental and vision insurance; paid vacation and sick time; commuter benefit; flexible spending accounts; long-term disability insurance. BCPP provides full medical coverage at no premium cost to full time staff members. Dependent coverage is available at an additional cost to employee.
Email your resume, cover letter and two relevant writing samples, email@example.com, subject line “Outreach and Organizing Manager.” Applicants are encouraged to submit their applications by February 23, 2018. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Breast Cancer Prevention Partners maintains a strong policy of equal employment opportunity.